It was Chen Shapira's idea and here I am making it the official first ever Oracle community contest.

Read on to learn more about the obfuscated SQL code contest.

What does obfuscate mean?

To obfuscate means to make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand.

What are the goals of the contest?

• To write the most Obscure/Obfuscated SQL query.
  • To show the importance of SQL programming style, in an ironic way.
  • To stress SQL techniques with unusual code.
  • To illustrate some of the subtleties of the SQL language.
  • To provide a safe forum for poor SQL code.

What are the rules of the contest?

• Your entry must be one SQL script file.
  • The SQL script must contain only one SQL (SELECT) statement.
  • The SQL statement can be as short or as long as you want and may contain an unlimited number of subqueries or inline views.
  • You must provide the database version the script was tested on.
  • The SQL statement must be able to be executed by anyone with a connection to an Oracle database - with at least the same database version as indicated by the author.
  • If needed, the script may include test data or database object creation code required to make the SQL statement execute successfully.
  • The SQL script must be of original work.

Who is eligible to participate?

Any Oracle Community member is eligible to submit one entry.

How do I submit an entry?

Just upload the SQL script file with your reply below. Make sure the file's extension is either sql or txt. In addition to uploading the file, you may also include a link to your entry, if you have published it on your blog or web site.

What else?

April 1st 2008 is the last day you can participate in this contest and submit your entry. After that date, all eligible entries will be voted/commented on. The author of the most popular entry will be declared the winner.

Happy obfuscation and good luck!

Tags: contest, sql

Views: 1156

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

The SQL script must contain only one SQL (SELECT) statement.

So no subqueries are permitted, inculding inline views?
I meant one top level SELECT. You can have an unlimited number of subqueries or inline views. Thanks for the clarification. I have clarified the rules above accordingly.
The scripts requires version 11.1.0.6, because of the pivot operator.
If you don't have that version, you can see the output here
Attachments:
Got my vote! Belongs on a t-shirt ...

does it need to be our own code? I don't think I could win if I had to write something worse than other peoples code that I see everyday.

here's one from OTN. the question was "how to calculate the next YYYYIW in a sequence". but it really was "the next IYYYIW". so if you're currently in 200813, the answer is 200814. but at the end of a year, you wrap around to IYYY+1, and IW goes back to 01. and don't forget to account for years with 53 weeks (like 2009).

The Obfuscated sql statement makes use subquery factoring, generates rows from dual via "connect by level <", and is overall quite the spectacle to look at. and it is truely obfuscated when you consider the same results can be achieved with this simple statement:

to_char( trunc(trunc(to_date( iyyy,'yyyy'),'iyyy'),'iw') + iw*7 ,'IYYYIW') next_iw

(where IYYY and IW represent the year/week value which needs to be incremented).
this came from http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=633028

I tested it (and my simpler solution) on 10.1.0.2.0
Attachments:
here is the code :
tried it on both 10.1.0.2 and 10.2.0.3 and got the following error:

ORA-19202: Error occurred in XML processing
ORA-24333: zero iteration count
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_XMLGEN", line 176
ORA-06512: at line 1
The only unobfuscated part of Laurent message says 10.1.0.5.
Try there :-)
well if I had that exact version, I'd try it ;)
so instead I tried just a little lower and just a little higher, and neither worked.
so how about someone with 10.1.0.5 try it and post the results so I can at least see what I'm missing.

and since this seems to work on one and only one subversion, it might be the most obfuscated code possible.
--------------------------- Quadruplet Puzzle ---------------------------------

The following Quadruplet Puzzle Query Solution can solve "4" different puzzles in a single ORACLE SQL.

Puzzle 1: Largest Rectangle of Words
find the largest possible rectangle of letters such that every row forms a word (right to left) and every column forms a word (reading top to bottom)

Puzzle 2: blank SUDOKU Solution

Puzzle 3: Impossible_Combinations
What is the smallest number of coins that you can’t make a dollar with? i.e.,for what N does there not exist a set of N coins adding up to a dollar? It is possible to make a dollar with 1 current U.S. coin (a Susan B. Anthony), 2 coins (2 fifty cent pieces), 3 coins (2 quarters and a fifty cent piece), etc. It is not possible to make exactly a dollar with 101 coins.

Puzzle 4: Divisible by 1 to 9
Find a 9-digit number a[1]a[2]a[3]…. containing all the digits 1,2,…,9 such that “K” divides a[1]a[2]a[3]…..a[k] for each k = 1,2,3….9.

Version : Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0

Here is the SQL Code :
Attachments:
LOL, pasted it into the code formatter at orafaq, formatter couldn't handle it.

RSS

Oracle Community On

I'm not a fan of advertising, and so I will not be including any advertisements on OracleCommunity.net. However, managing this community does not come without cost! If you are willing to donate to help pay for the monthly community fees and domain services I accept Bitcoin and PayPal donations.

Donate Bitcoins

Badge

Loading…

Blog Posts

Join cases between related tables in data computing and analytics

Related computing can be: Inner join or outer join. The outer join can be further divided into left join, right join, and full join. With esProc, such kinds ofrelated computing can be easily implemented. In the discussion below, we will introduce the join operations with some examples using the table emp and table sOrder.

Table structure:

The table emp stores the employee data table, in which the…

Continue

Posted by Jim King on August 25, 2014 at 1:35am

Oracle RAC Classes

Contact me for Oracle High Availability Training / Online Classes - Dubai shans.dba@gmail.com

Posted by Shanmugam on August 18, 2014 at 1:00am

Code Examples of In-Memory Grouping for more efficient data computing and analytics

It is convenient to realize some common in-memory grouping with esProc, such as, equal grouping, alignment grouping and enumeration grouping. They are to be illustrated with the following examples.

Equal grouping 

Grouping basis of equal grouping is certain fields (or computed columns derived from fields) within a data set. Each group is a subset of original data set.

Case description: Group sales orders by the year. …

Continue

Posted by Jim King on August 15, 2014 at 12:21am

© 2014   Created by Steve Karam.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service